Chiang Mai which is said to be the one of the two largest cities in Thailand is named "Rose of the North" by the tourist. From Bangkok, it take only 90 minutes flight to travel to Chiang Mai. Ready to take a tour to Thailand, we set off on a guided tour of the Doi Suthep Mountain to see its historic and beautiful temple known as Wat Phra That.
Our guide talked us through the mountain’s history as we climbed the steps towards the summit, stopping halfway to visit a group of monks and learn about their culture. We were even able to join in with their daily alms offerings too, which was a very humbling experience. From the top of the mountain we were rewarded with panoramic views over the whole of Chiang Mai - an amazing and memorable introduction to our trip.
Next it was off to visit a nearby Hill Tribe to learn how the local people live and work. Walking through the rainforest we came to a village of workshops where artisans make their living, known as the ‘cottage industries’. Our expert guide explained how local people use natural resources to create popular products, such as crafting cups from bamboo and scented pillows from tea leaves, which we later had a chance to make ourselves. I was fascinated by the craftsmanship involved and would highly recommend this insightful tour for a chance to learn about traditional Thai culture.
hat evening we took a tuk-tuk into the heart of Chiang Mai to explore the famous Night Market. Packed with stalls selling everything from clothes and shoes to authentic Thai cuisine, it’s a must-do when staying in the area. The marketplace atmosphere is fantastic and the goods are all excellent value too - I picked up some hand-carved gifts to bring home, sampled delicious spring rolls and tried bartering with the market stall vendors, which was great fun!
The following day we set off to try Thai delicacies at a local cooking school, where we learned how to make and prepare traditional dishes such as green curry with coconut milk, spicy papaya salad and Mango sticky rice - a popular Thai dessert and my favourite dish! In small groups of six or less this is a fantastic way to interact with the local people, plus trying all the dishes and getting to see how they are made was a brilliant way to spend the day.
We then left Thailand behind, taking a short flight to Mandalay for our next adventure. Formerly known as Burma, Myanmar is a beautiful treasure trove of ancient religious sites and mysterious cave pagodas packed with fascinating culture and warm, welcoming people.
With lots to see, we began with the beautiful Mahamuni Buddha Pagoda and famous U Bein Teak Bridge – the longest in the world! Known as the cultural and Buddhist centre of Myanmar, a visit to some of Mandalay’s monasteries was one of my favourite parts of the day and some of the monks even stopped to speak to us, which I felt very honoured by. That afternoon we saw the biggest book in the world - a unique landmark made up of hundreds of stone ‘pages’ with engraved scripts, each housed inside individual temples for protection.
Early the next morning we climbed Mandalay Hill - famous for its magnificent views over the Ayeyarwady River and all of Mandalay’s main sites. Not for the faint-hearted, the journey to the top is steep (although access is also available by road, with an escalator and lift to the summit) but the outstanding views from the top of the Sutaungpyei Pagoda make the journey entirely worthwhile, and I was blown away looking out over the city.
Next we flew to Bagan where a spectacular landscape greeted us, dotted with ancient temples including the famous gold-domed Shwezigon Pagoda and Temple of Ananda. Over the next two days we hired a horse and cart and explored at our own pace, taking in the incredible ancient structures which you can enter, climb the narrow stairs and admire the views from the top.
On our final morning we experienced a hot air balloon ride at sunrise which gave us a bird’s eye view of the incredible scenery and was the perfect end to our stay. Watching the sun come up over hundreds of pagodas was undoubtedly my biggest highlight, and an amazing experience I’ll never forget.
Gialinhtravel agent can offer an 11 night, tailor made Thailand & Myanmar holiday package from £1,799pp including return international flights, return transfers and four star accommodation throughout; based on three nights in Chiang Mai, two nights in Mandalay, two nights in Bagan, two nights in Yangon, two nights in Bangkok and breakfast throughout (excluding Bangkok). This offer is based on two adults sharing and is valid for travel on selected dates from May 4th July 8th 2016, alternative dates also available.
Alternatively, to recreate Emma’s holiday as detailed above contact one of our Sidney Street experts on (01223) 500 007 or pop in to your local branch.